Friday, March 5, 2010

Glasses

I got an email from Sophia's teacher yesterday:

Hi Sarah,
Can you tell me a little about Sophia's glasses? Is she supposed to wear them all of the time, including lunch, recess and P.E.? One day she thought perhaps not, but today she said she was supposed to wear them all of the time.
Thanks,
Sharon

Hmmmmm...this was interesting because Sophia has perfect vision and does not wear glasses. I quickly realized that she was wearing a pair of glasses I got her for their career day today for which she was assigned the role of librarian. When I spoke with her teacher she said that Sophia had come in from recess wearing glasses for the first time and said "Mrs Murray, the other kids were making fun of me because of my glasses!" She was milking the glasses for all they were worth.

I'm not sure how Sophia was going to eventually stop wearing the glasses and explain to her classmates that her vision was miraculously restored. She has the best first grade teacher in the world, Mrs Murray, who was quite concerned when I told her Sophia was in trouble for lying. She said "Sophia is the sweetest, kindest girl. It was more deception and not so much lying. Please don't punish her." She talked me out of telling Sophia she can't go to Ryan's bowling party on Saturday.

Sophia is such an awesome girl full of sweetness and fun.

Here she is in her librarian outfit and her new glasses. You can see why Mrs Murray thought they might be a bit "severe" for a seven year old's daily glasses when Sophia informed her she had to wear them all the time.

1 comment:

vpatterson said...

This is so funny to me! It reminds me of when Kaytlin was in 1st grade and she told the teacher she was having a hard time concentrating because her grandma had died. A week later when her teacher saw me she approached me with her head down. She felt bad for not calling to apologize and proceeded to tell me how sorry she was for my mom dying. I looked at her dumbfounded so she gave me the same look. I asked her what she was talking about so she told me. I was so upset and Kaytlin just stood there with nothing to say. We were both so suprised because Kaytlin was a great student and never caused any issues, but boy we were both upset about it. Now, we can laugh about it.