Thursday, February 12, 2009

Fast Food

Last night I wasn't sure what we were going to have for dinner and with a bit of scrambling made a delicious pasta dinner with spinach and ricotta cheese.  I looked at the clock when we sat down and it was 6:11. I was happy to have put a nice meal on the table in thirty minutes.

We had a calm time.  Katie asked if she could say grace.  We bowed our heads and she said "Say grace" then looked up with a huge smile so proud of herself that she said grace by herself. It's a start.  

Ella told us who had show and tell that day at school.  Sophia told us who she played with at recess.  These are about all the details we usually get about their days.  The girls asked to be excused and after they left the table I looked at Rick and said I was happy that we'd had a nice quiet meal together.  Usually dinner is much louder.  

Then I looked at the clock...6:22.  

We ate dinner and discussed our days and excused the girls in ELEVEN minutes.  Scary thing is that I don't see meals getting longer anytime soon.  I guess I should be thankful that we actually sit down at the table together every night even if it is for less time than it takes me to get everyone loaded into their car-seats in the morning which I have timed.  We start putting on coats at 8:10 hoping to be all strapped in the car at 8:25.

No comments: