Monday, June 30, 2008

Muscle Sandwiches

Sophia has always been interested in what's inside her body. Once the tv was on and there was a commercial for a drug for "restless leg syndrome". It featured a woman sitting in a recliner rubbing her legs and a graphic showing "itchy legs" which were filled with stick pins poking them then "creepy crawly legs" which were full of ants. You get the picture. I realized Sophia was staring hypnotized at the screen then staring at her legs back and forth back and forth. The commercial ended and 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

"Mom, what's inside my legs?"

"Muscles and bones".

"What else is under my skin? What about inside my head?"

Rick bought her some childrens anatomy books and we talked about her circulatory system, muscles, brain, etc.

So I shouldn't have been surprised when I made pulled pork sandwiches and Sophia took one look and said "Mom, this looks like somebody's MUSCLES! I am definitely NOT eating MUSCLES!"

"It's not muscle Sophia, it's ham" I replied, but she was not convinced and after seeing her disgust Ella wouldn't eat her "muscle sandwich" either.

This reminded me of the time I made fish and she told Ella not to worry because this was not the kind of fish that swims in the water like Nemo. This was the kind of fish that we eat.

I am dreading the day when she really puts it all together and declares herself a vegetarian. Hopefully she'll wait until college to turn vegetarian like most 18 year old girls.

No comments: